Hon. Joseph T. Carew
Cincinnati, The Queen City, Volume III, 1912
Pages 36 - 40
Transcribed by: Paula Carle Bosch, Sweetwater, TN
 
 
 
        To say of him whose name introduces this review that he has risen from a comparatively humble position to rank with the prosperous merchants of Cincinnati may seem trite to those familiar with his life history, yet it is but just to say in a history that will descend to future generations that his record is one which any man might be proud to possess. It commands for him the confidence and admiration of colleagues and contemporaries, for throughout his career he has never made engagements that he has not kept nor incurred obligations that he has not met. He has been found as honorable as progressive, as reliable as enterprising, and his establishment has largely set the standard for trade conditions in the city where for many years the Mabley & Carew Company has ranked foremost as proprietors of mercantile establishments.
        Mr. Carew is numbered among the young men of Canadian birth who have crossed the border to find in this country a livelier competition but also advancement more quickly secured. He was born in Peterboro, Canada, January 2, 1848, his parents being Robert S. and Euphemia (Gordon) Carew.  The family is of Irish extraction and the ancestry may be traced back in the Emerald isle to the twelfth century, the family name figuring subsequently in connection with public affairs in Dublin and vicinity for about seven centuries. Robert S. Carew, the father of our subject, was born in Ireland in 1827 and became a large property owner there. His demise occurred in 1891. His wife, whose birth occurred in Dublin in 1829, is likewise deceased. They were the parents of six children, four of whom are yet living, namely: Joseph Thomas, of this review; Robert G., who is connected with the Mabley & Carew Company; Frances, who is the wife of Thomas Pocock and resides in South Carolina; and Catherine, the wife of James Hamilton, of New York city.
        In the schools of his native town Joseph T. Carew began his education, which was supplemented by study in Toronto, after which he made his initial step in the business world as a clerk in a Peterboro store. A letter from a former schoolmate, who was then employed in the large clothing house of C. R. Mabley at Detroit, Michigan, led Mr. Carew to become a citizen of the United States and in 1869 he, too, entered the employ of the Detroit house.  There his close application, earnest effort to please and his thorough reliability won him promotion and when Mr. Mabley established a branch store in Detroit, Mr. Carew was placed in charge and conducted the business successfully for a number of years. At length, however, Mr. Mabley determined to unite his two establishments and Mr. Carew would thus have been deprived of a position had not Mr. Mabley made a proposition to him to become his partner in the establishment and conduct of a a business in any city here Mr. Carew might desire to locate. After looking over the field somewhat thoroughly the latter announced his belief that Cincinnati offered excellent business opportunities, and accordingly a store was opened upon Fountain Square in 1877. It was a little establishment, only seventeen feet front, but there was a prospect of securing an adjoining store of equal size at no very distant day. The stock of goods was opened in the first place and from the beginning the trade grew steadily along substantial lines. The stock was continuously enlarged to meet the growing demands of the trade and in order to secure increased facilities Mr. Carew purchased a number of small buildings at the corner of Fifth and Vine streets, which he razed, and upon that site erected one of the finest business structures in the city. The business was conducted as a co-partnership concern under the firm name of Mabley & Carew until the death of the senior partner in 1885. In 1884 they had extended their efforts to Baltimore in the establishment of a branch store there, and following the death of Mr. Mabley, Mr. Carew became sole proprietor of both the Baltimore and Cincinnati houses, forming a stock company a few years later. The splendid department store of Mabley & Carew is today a monument to the energy and enterprise of him whose name introduces this review, its six stories and basement being most attractively equipped and well stocked with goods. From four hundred and fifty to seven hundred people are employed in the conduct of the business. Mr. Carew is also one of the five trustees appointed for the Cincinnati Southern Railroad Company.
        On the 10th of August, 1877, was celebrated the marriage of Joseph T. Carew and Miss Allie E. Stewart, a daughter of William and Anna (Martindale) Stewart. Her father, a ship owner of Detroit, Michigan, is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Carew have two children: Robert Gordon, who wedded Miss Little of St. Louis, and is connected with his father's business; and Elaine, the wife of Frederick J. Flach, of Cincinnati. The family residence is one of the attractive homes on Walnut Hills, situated at the corner of McMillan street and Highland avenue.
        Mr. Carew is a republican in politics and was one of the electors of Ohio who cast a vote for William McKinley,Theodore Roosevelt and William H. Taft. In religious faith he is an Episcopalian. He is well known as a prominent Mason, having taken the Knight Templar degree of the York, and the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, while with the nobles of the Mystic Shrine he has crossed the sands of the desert. Mr. Carew is also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the beneficent spirit of those fraternities has found exemplification in his life. He is a valued and popular member of the Business Men's Cub, the Queen City Club, the Commercial Club, the Country Club and the Golf Club. As prosperity has come to him he has made generous distribution of his wealth for the benefit of the city and to meet the needs of individuals. He has rendered valuable service as a member of the Cincinnati board of park commissioners and as a director of the House of Refuge. His life interests are wide, his spirit helpful and he has ever advocated practical and resultant methods in the attainment of high ideals, whether in business or benevolent projects.


Catharine Karl
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 421-2:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.

Catharine KARL, residence Avondale, and the subject of this sketch, is one of the old and respected pioneers of Avondale. She was born in Germany in about 1814. She was married in Germany to the late Frederick KARL, of Germany, and they, in company with three children sailed for America and landed in New York city in 1835, coming direct to Cincinnati. Here Mr. KARL worked as a day laborer; he was for a short time watchman on a steamboat. In 1849 the family moved to Avondale. Here, in 1851, he began in a small way in the dairy business, and by his industry he built up a good and profitable trade. He continued in business until his death, which occurred in 1864. Thus passed away an honored and respected citizen of Avondale, leaving a wife and three children to mourn his loss. The three children are, Maggie, Amelia and Caroline.

F. Spangler
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.

F. SPANGLER, residence Avondale, and the subject of this sketch, was born in the city of Brunswick, Germany, August 5, 1822. He, in 1848, came to America and landed in Galveston, where he remained but a short time, thence to New Orleans, and in the spring of 1849 came to Cincinnati, where in this vicinity he has remained ever since one of its honored and respected citizens. Mr. SPANGLER was for a number of years engaged in the ladies' furnishing and trimming business, on the corner of Fifth and Vine streets; he was also engaged in other mercantile occupations. He was married in Cincinnati to Miss Mariah Lizzie WARNER, of Albany, New York, by whom he has two children living. Mr. SPANGLER was very actively engaged in the late civil war; was captain in the Seventh Ohio regiment. He was promoted and served as general. inspector of ammunition, where he did good duty. Mr. SPANGLER, in 1849, became a member of the Cincinnati Leidertafel Singing society, the third oldest singing society in America, and Mr. SPANGLER being the sixth oldest singer in the northwest. At an early day Mr. SPANGLER was presented with a beer mug trimmed with silver mounting, with an iron screw on the top, for best singing.


Thomas  Knott
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Thomas KNOTT, florist, residence Avondale, was born·in the western portion of Ireland, in the year 1818. Here he grew into manhood, and in 1840 came to Cincinnati, where he accepted a clerkship in a dry goods store. He remained but a short time. In 1841 he moved to Avondale, then Locust Grove, and with a capital of some three hundred dollars embarked in the florist business, near his present location. He states that when he commenced there were only four more in the florist business here in Avondale. Mr. KNOTT has remained ever since, working continuously at his occupation, and to-day is perhaps the oldest florist near the city, and the oldest settler of Avondale. He has been very successful as a florist, owning one of the largest places of the kind near Cincinnati, having some fifteen large houses, under glass, and all filled with the choicest plants. One rosebush he has, which is the LaMark, a pure white rose, he cut from it, one Easter, one hundred dollars' worth of buds at a moderate figure. Mr. KNOTT employs six hands in the florist business.


George Thale
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


George THALE, dairyman, Avondale, was born in Hanover, May 25, 1838, came to the United States and direct to Cincinnati in 1864. Here he worked at day's labor. He was then engaged in driving a sprinkling cart in watering the streets; then as driver of a milk wagon. Coming to Avondale, he commenced in the dairy business with forty-two cows. Since then his business has grown very extensive, and to-day he fias the credit of keeping one of the best dairies in Hamilton county, owning seventy-seven head of cows, and running two milk wagons in connection with his business.


Thomas Lambert
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Thomas LAMBERT, retired, residence Avondale. The subject of this brief notice was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, March 5, 1825, coming to the United States and direct to Avondale in 1850, which has been his home ever since. He is now one of Avondale's pioneers. Here he entered the nursery business, which he carried on very successfully for a number of years. He entered the grocery business in Avondale, and continued in it up up to 1878, when he retired. Mr. Lambert has been very active in building up Avondale. He has filled several offices of public trust with honor and credit. He was for twelve years assessor of Avondale precinct. He is now superintendent of streets.


John Schroeder
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


John SCHROEDER, saloonist, residence Avondale, was born near Frankfort on the Rhine, Germany, September 24, 1839. He learned his trade as a carpenter in Germany, and in 1867 came to America, landed in New York city, and then came direct to Cincinnati. Here he worked at his trade, and in 1870 he opened a grocery and saloon in Mount Auburn, continuing there until the year 1877, when he erected his present brick block, which is two stories high, and an ornament to that part of Avondale. Here he entered his present business, which he has continued since.


Rev. Hilary Hoelscher
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Rev. Hilary HOELSCHER, pastor of the Catholic church at Carthage, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 14, 1857, and is the son of John and Mary Elizabeth (MITGOES) both parents, natives of Hanover, Germany, having come to America at an early day. Our subject, when he was two years of age, moved with his parents to Covington, Kentucky. Here he received his education, graduating from the St. Francis college in 1875, when he entered upon his ministerial studies, and was ordained as a minister in 1880, his first appointment being as pastor of the Catholic church at Carthage, which pulpit he is now filling.


E.A. Brown
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


E. A. BROWN, supervisor of Longview asylum, was born in Windham county, Connecticut, and followed farming in his native State. In 1861 he enlisted in company B, Eleventh Rhode Island infantry, where he served full time and was honorably mustered out. In 1876 he came to Hamilton county, Ohio, and received a place in the Longview Asylum as watchman. He was soon after appointed to his present position, in which place he is giving the best of satisfaction.


A.L. Stephens
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


A. L. STEPHENS, superintendent of the colored department of the Longview asylum, residence Carthage. The subject of this brief notice was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, July 19, 1839. He was for seven years connected with the lunatic asylum at Dayton. In 1873 Mr. STEPHENS accepted a position with the Longview asylum, where he has remained ever since. He has been very faithful, and is acknowledged to be the right man in the right place.


John T. Colling
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 422-3:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


John T. COLLING, warden of the Hamilton county infirmary, residence Carthage, was born in Aisne, France, in 1834, where he received his principal education. In 1852 he came to Cincinnati. He was for four years an employe of the Commercial hospital, when he received an appointment from Dayton Asylum, and was superintendent of that institution for some two years, and returned to Cincinnati and was in charge of the asylum at Lick Run for two years. In 1860 he entered the employ of the Western Insurance company as assistant secretary for one year, then secretary for nineteen years, being a faithful employe. He was very successful, and took an active part in improving Carthage. He moved there in 1866. He was eight years a member of the council, and trustee of the schools for some ten years, filling these offices with acknowledged ability. In 1879 Mr. COLLING was appointed to his present position, where he is giving the best of satisfaction. He was married in Cincinnati in 1856 to Miss Elizabeth SAUER, of Maryland, and has five children, four sons and one daughter.

J.E. Ash
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.

J. E. ASH, station agent Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad at Carthage, was born in Logan county, Ohio. When a young man, he went to Bellefontaine and worked in a carriage manufactory as a carriage painter. The work not agreeing with him, he left and began to learn telegraphing, which business he has followed for the last twenty-five years. He opened the office at Middletown, and was telegraph operator there until he went to Springfield. From there he came to Carthage January 1, 1862, as telegraph operator and station agent. This position Mr. ASH has filled ever since, and is to-day the third oldest railroad operator between Toledo and Cincinnati. While a citizen of Carthage, Mr. ASH has won many warm friends. He has filled several offices of public trust with honor. He was councilman one term and clerk one term. He, in connection with his station agency, operates a coal and lumber yard, which business he has been in for the last ten years.


John Bickers
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


John BICKERS, section boss Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad, residence Carthage. Was born in Germany, having come to Hamilton county in 1852. In 1853 he began work on the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad as a section hand. In 1857 he was made foreman of his present section, which position he has filled with the best of satisfaction ever since, and today perhaps is the oldest railroad section boss in Hamilton county. Mr. BICKERS was a member of the Carthage council for two terms, filling this office with acknowledged ability.


John McCammon
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


John McCAMMON, contractor and builder, residence Carthage, was born in Shippensburgh, Pennsylvania, November 9, 1814, and is the son of Thomas and Mary (PIPER) McCAMMON. His father was a native of Ireland, and a cabinetmaker by trade. He died in 1858, aged eighty-six years and two months. Our subject, with his parents, in 1816, came to Cincinnati, floating down the Ohio river in a keel-boat, locating in Cincinnati, where they remained until 1821, then moved to a farm in Springfield township, Hamilton county. Here Mr. McCAMMON remained, working on the farm. In June, 1831, he began to learn the carpenter's trade in Cincinnati, which business he continued up to 1858, when he was appointed superintendent of buildings of the schools of Cincinnati. This position he filled until June 20, 1875, dining which time about all the public schools of this city were erected under his supervision. Mr. McCAMMON superintended the erection of the new music hall and the wings. He also superintended the erection of the gas building in Carthage. His life has been very active, and to-day, perhaps, he has superintended the erection of more prominent buildings than any one man in Cincinnati. He was married, June 14, 1840, to Miss J. BONNEL, a native of Hamilton county, Ohio. By this marriage they have had eight children, of whom six are living. In 1868 Mr. McCAMMON moved to Carthage, which has been his home ever since.


Mrs. Hannah French
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Mrs. Hannah FRENCH, dealer in dry goods at Carthage, is the wife of the late Mr. FRENCH, who was born in England. He graduated from the Kilkenny college and soon after came to America, locating in Chicago, thence to Sandusky, Ohio, where he taught a select school. He then went to Plasdated, on the Peninsula, and here taught school and became acquainted with the subject of this sketch, Miss Hannah SLACKFORD, who was born in London, England, and is the daughter of Thomas SLACKFORD, who was a sea-faring man. They, in about 1867, came to Cincinnati. Mr. FRENCH was acknowledged to be the best penman around Cincinnati. He taught penmanship in Covington. He entered the office of Gilmore & Dunlap, as a clerk, and soon afterwards was their general correspondent. In 1860 they moved to Carthage. Here Mrs. FRENCH commenced the notion and drug store business, being the first to start a drug store in Carthage. She continued in business up to 1879, since which time her sons have been carrying on the business. Mr. FRENCH died in April, 1878 -- a man respected and honored. Thus passed away one of Carthage's best citizens, leaving a wife and four children to mourn his loss.


Pedro Benner
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Pedro BENNER keeps a drug store at Carthage. He was born in Hamburgh, Germany, in 1851, and came to America in 1855, and in 1859 came to Cincinnati, where he received his principal education, and then entered a leading drug store in Cincinnati, where he remained for several years as a clerk. In December, 1874, he commenced business for himself, in Cincinnati. In 1877 he moved to Carthage, and began business in the post office building. Here he remained up to 1879, when he moved to his present cozy quarters, which is the leading drug store of Carthage. Since Mr. BENNER came to Carthage his business has gradually improved, and today he is doing a very good drug business.


Edward P. Oberle
"History of  Hamilton county, Ohio"
published 1881 by Ford
Supplementary Matter
Mill Creek Twp
pg 423-4:
Transcribed by Linda Boorom.


Edward P. OBERLE, grocer at Carthage, was born in Bavaria, Germany, November 16, 1827. He came to the United States and landed in New York city, in 1853, thence direct to Cincinnati, arriving here in August of the same year. Here he learned the trade of a baker with his brother. In 1855, he moved to St. Bernard, and carried on the bakery business up to 1858, when he moved to Carthage, where he embarked in the bakery trade in a small frame house. In 1860 he built his present store and continued the bakery up to 1874, since which time he has been in the grocery business, being very successful. Mr. OBERLE, in connection with the grocery, is engaged in the lumber and coal business. He was married, in Cincinnati, to Miss Anna Mariah SCHRECK. She is from Germany, and came to Cincinnati in 1853. By this marriage they have three children living.
 
 
 
Copyright © 2006 Tina Hursh.  All rights reserved.
For problems or questions about this web site, contact Tina Hursh.
 US Biographies Coordinator, Deb Murray.